Having a baby is a truly wondrous time, but it is also full of a lot of unknowns.
Most parents-to-be put together the usual checklists…the cot, the pram, the nursery, the nappies….but it’s often the most important items that get overlooked.
Here’s a checklist of some of the things you may not have thought of but really need to safeguard your child’s future.
Before your baby is born
- Parental Leave Pay you may be eligible for. You can also read more about your entitlements and rights on the Fair Work Ombudsman website or the Supporting Working Parents website.
- Consider your child care options – many child care services have waiting lists, so it’s a good idea to investigate your options. You can also check out the mychild website.
After your baby is born
- Register your child’s birth – in Australia you will be given a Parent Pack from your hospital or midwife, including a Proof of Birth Declaration. You will want to complete your details including your Centrelink Reference Number and submit it online to Centrelink. You will also need to register the birth of your baby with your state or territory.
- Immunisation – immunisations should be carried out according to the National Immunisation Program Schedule. It’s worth noting that some family assistance payments can only be paid for children who are immunised or have an approved exemption.
- Your Wills – make or update your Will. Both parents need to include provisions for their child in their will. It’s incredibly important to provide legal safeguards for your child’s future.
- Appoint a guardian for your child – If you want to have a say in who will care for your child or children if somethings happens to you, then you need to appoint a legal guardian. These legal provisions can be made in your Will. Read more here about appointing a guardian and how to choose the right person to care for your child.
Gill & Lane are very experienced at Wills and administering estates, as well as advising on guardianship .
We can help navigate any complex issues such as existing custody arrangements and advise on the appointment of appropriate guardians, executors and trustees – all to ensure your child’s best interests and your wishes are safeguarded.
Contact Gill & Lane Solicitors at Sandgate via GregL@gillandlane.com.au, or 3269 8111 for a free, no obligation consultation.
*For more information about Centrelink payments and services you can read more here.